2011 2.2 cobalt no start?

2011 CHEVROLET COBALT
300,000 MILES • 2.2L • MANUAL
Advertisement
Avatar
STRAILER
  • ✓Experienced Mechanic
  • 55,433 POSTS
I need to see the camshaft lobes of the #1 cylinder.
Sep 27, 2026 at 7:58 PM
Avatar
P TONE
  • MEMBER
  • 57 POSTS
Does that mean put a camera down in the cilender??
Sep 27, 2026 at 8:00 PM
Avatar
STRAILER
  • ✓Experienced Mechanic
  • 55,433 POSTS
No from the top of the camshafts
Sep 27, 2026 at 8:00 PM
Avatar
P TONE
  • MEMBER
  • 57 POSTS
Oh! So take a picture with the valve gasket off just like an overhead view?
Sep 27, 2026 at 8:02 PM
Avatar
P TONE
  • MEMBER
  • 57 POSTS
Valve cover not gasket I'm sorry
Sep 27, 2026 at 8:03 PM
Avatar
P TONE
  • MEMBER
  • 57 POSTS
I hope this is what you were referring to. Also I know we spoke about this before but I wanted clarification please question 1 do I gotta match up the colored pieces on the chain to the arrows on the cams when the engine is TDC? Like how do I know 100% that the car is in correct timing
Sep 28, 2026 at 12:53 PM
Avatar
P TONE
  • MEMBER
  • 57 POSTS
I figured out how to see if my car is in correct timing. 12 10 and 2 colored links don't matter they only matter during installation process i apologize if you told me and I just wasn't comprehending
Sep 28, 2026 at 2:16 PM
Avatar
STRAILER
  • ✓Experienced Mechanic
  • 55,433 POSTS
No worries, if the engine is on TDC the timing chain has jumped. Thanks for the images.
Sep 28, 2026 at 4:35 PM
Avatar
P TONE
  • MEMBER
  • 57 POSTS
Omg. So if the crankshaft is at 12. And the other 2 are at 10 and 2 that means they've jumped? I am so freaking confused I took the pictures of the lobes I think
Sep 28, 2026 at 4:42 PM
Avatar
STRAILER
  • ✓Experienced Mechanic
  • 55,433 POSTS
You did is the engine on TDC? Pull the #1 spark plug out and confirm it is at the top of the cylinder, use a flashlight.
Sep 28, 2026 at 4:49 PM
Avatar
P TONE
  • MEMBER
  • 57 POSTS
Ill send pictures of the crank and the sprockets with the engine at TDC I'm sorry I'm scrambled headed at the moment lot going

Sep 28, 2026 at 4:54 PM
Avatar
STRAILER
  • ✓Experienced Mechanic
  • 55,433 POSTS
np
Sep 28, 2026 at 6:50 PM
Avatar
STRAILER
  • ✓Experienced Mechanic
  • 55,433 POSTS
Hang in there.
Sep 28, 2026 at 6:51 PM
Avatar
P TONE
  • MEMBER
  • 57 POSTS
Well I thought originally the whole time the colored parts of the chain was where the arrows on the sprockets were suppsoed to line up then later I found out that that only matters during the installation process period and what actually matters is turning the engine to TDC then looking for the symbols to line up or arrows or whatever it is I'll find out tomorrow I got confused thats all
Sep 28, 2026 at 7:01 PM
Avatar
STRAILER
  • ✓Experienced Mechanic
  • 55,433 POSTS
Yep, car repair is harder than most people think, but I am here for you so we will get through it together :)
Sep 28, 2026 at 7:15 PM
Avatar
P TONE
  • MEMBER
  • 57 POSTS
The engine is at TDC the demands/arrows on the sprockets/cams are pointing at 10 o clock and 2 o clock. The engine is at 100% TDC on cylinder 1 i also took a photo of the crankshaft
Sep 29, 2026 at 12:15 PM
Avatar
P TONE
  • MEMBER
  • 57 POSTS
Okay?
Sep 29, 2026 at 12:20 PM
Avatar
P TONE
  • MEMBER
  • 57 POSTS
Do i gotta take off the face plate in order to see if its in correct timing
Sep 29, 2026 at 12:26 PM
Avatar
STRAILER
  • ✓Experienced Mechanic
  • 55,433 POSTS
Yep, so the engine needs to come apart it looks like.
Sep 30, 2026 at 8:17 AM
Avatar
P TONE
  • MEMBER
  • 57 POSTS
To see if its in correct timing? Right
Sep 30, 2026 at 11:00 AM
Avatar
STRAILER
  • ✓Experienced Mechanic
  • 55,433 POSTS
Yes, it can be the only reason the compression is that low across all cylinders, unless the engine got badly overheated.
Oct 1, 2026 at 9:06 AM
Avatar
P TONE
  • MEMBER
  • 57 POSTS
Uhhh the engine over heats a lot when I start driving the engine cools itself off its just when I sit still
Oct 1, 2026 at 11:57 AM
Avatar
P TONE
  • MEMBER
  • 57 POSTS
Is it hard to do an engine swap?
Oct 1, 2026 at 1:18 PM
Avatar
STRAILER
  • ✓Experienced Mechanic
  • 55,433 POSTS
That might be the best bet at this point.
Oct 1, 2026 at 5:59 PM
Avatar
P TONE
  • MEMBER
  • 57 POSTS
On a chevy cruze let's say all the cylinders got healthy compression but when you do a leak down test on 1 and there's zero does that mean new engine? I think its just 1 or 2 cylinders
Oct 1, 2026 at 6:39 PM
Avatar
STRAILER
  • ✓Experienced Mechanic
  • 55,433 POSTS
What was the results of the compression test?
Oct 1, 2026 at 6:56 PM
Join 2CarPros for free, one of the most advanced car repair communities on the internet. From first-time drivers to seasoned mechanics, everyone is welcome to reply, share details, and get better answers. You can add a temporary image or video first; uploads are limited to 20 MB.
Ask a Free Question
Repair Safety Notice: This information is for general instructional purposes only. Vehicle repair can be dangerous. Verify all information, follow manufacturer service procedures, use proper tools and safety equipment, and consult a qualified repair shop when needed.