2011 2.2 cobalt no start?

2011 CHEVROLET COBALT
300,000 MILES • 2.2L • MANUAL
Avatar
P TONE
  • MEMBER
  • 57 POSTS
Tested battery it sits at 12.4 to 12.6 tested the car when crunk with multi meter to see if alternator is good sits at 14.0 and higher I changed fuel pump car still won't turn over I can only get it crunk 1x that's it won't crank back up when I crank the car it drains the battery like crazy
Sep 10, 2026 at 4:11 PM
Advertisement
Avatar
STRAILER
  • ✓Experienced Mechanic
  • 55,433 POSTS
Yep, this can be a weak battery that fails the load test. I would remove the battery and have it tested at the auto parts store, the voltage can be okay but the battery will fail the load test FYI, Please let me know. Check out this video to help as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YRW8fyNudY

Sep 11, 2026 at 7:45 AM
Avatar
P TONE
  • MEMBER
  • 57 POSTS
So if it reads in the red its got a bad cell and I need a new battery?
Sep 11, 2026 at 8:08 AM
Avatar
P TONE
  • MEMBER
  • 57 POSTS
What else could it be so I can plan ahead? I ordered the load tester I never knew anything about a "load " on the battery that's very interesting is there other procedures or anything else I could try in the mean time
Sep 11, 2026 at 8:13 AM
Avatar
STRAILER
  • ✓Experienced Mechanic
  • 55,433 POSTS
Yes, I would looks at this video which can help as well.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHTbC73FAgU

Have a good weekend.
Sep 12, 2026 at 8:55 AM
Avatar
P TONE
  • MEMBER
  • 57 POSTS
Hi. I researched both battery's then I tested both with the meter probes 1 battery sits at 12.4 and the other sits at 12.9 with the voltage meter I finally got the load tester one battery sits at 11 and the other sits at 10 should I still replace the battery ??
Sep 13, 2026 at 4:04 PM
Avatar
P TONE
  • MEMBER
  • 57 POSTS
Im planning on using an amplifier wleding amp to refurbished or restore the battery if that doesn't work what do you suggest ?
Sep 14, 2026 at 8:08 AM
Avatar
STRAILER
  • ✓Experienced Mechanic
  • 55,433 POSTS
Okay, before doing anything else, lets see if the engine can be rotated over. Please check out this video make are you get 360 degrees out of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oN42gZN6gOE&t

Let me know
Sep 14, 2026 at 5:25 PM
Avatar
P TONE
  • MEMBER
  • 57 POSTS
Engine turns just fine
Sep 14, 2026 at 7:35 PM
Avatar
P TONE
  • MEMBER
  • 57 POSTS
Excuse me i turned it clockwise by hand it turns just fine very smooth
Sep 14, 2026 at 7:36 PM
Avatar
STRAILER
  • ✓Experienced Mechanic
  • 55,433 POSTS
Okay, that is a good sign. So the engine cranks over okay. Can you upload a short video of the engine cranking over so I can see it?
Sep 15, 2026 at 8:15 AM
Avatar
P TONE
  • MEMBER
  • 57 POSTS
Cranks over like you want me to turn the ignition and try and crank it or just rotate it im confused
Sep 15, 2026 at 8:17 AM
Avatar
STRAILER
  • ✓Experienced Mechanic
  • 55,433 POSTS
You said it rotates jut fine so you don't need to do that again. Please crank the engine over and upload a video of it in your response so I can see it.
Sep 15, 2026 at 8:25 AM
Avatar
P TONE
  • MEMBER
  • 57 POSTS
So what i had planned was to refurbish the battery using a welding amp so I could make refurbish it but was unable to I bought a load tester it tester at 11 but I'm thinking there could be a dead cell in it i got a

Compression tester
Leak down tester
And a block tester
I can get codes because I gotta keep recharging the battery imma send a video here in a second
Sep 20, 2026 at 1:17 PM
Avatar
P TONE
  • MEMBER
  • 57 POSTS
I did a compression test.
1 2 3 and 4 sits like 75 to 50 on all so if I repair the valve cover gasket and the head gasket you think that'll remedy the problem
Sep 20, 2026 at 4:14 PM
Avatar
STRAILER
  • ✓Experienced Mechanic
  • 55,433 POSTS
Sorry, the compression is the issue, it sounds like the timing chain jumped a tooth. I would remove the valve cover to inspect the chain.
Sep 21, 2026 at 7:07 AM
Avatar
P TONE
  • MEMBER
  • 57 POSTS
If a car has bad compression if i installed a new valve cover gasket and a heqd gasket would that restore compression?
Sep 21, 2026 at 9:23 AM
Avatar
STRAILER
  • ✓Experienced Mechanic
  • 55,433 POSTS
I don't think so.
Sep 21, 2026 at 2:05 PM
Avatar
P TONE
  • MEMBER
  • 57 POSTS
How do you restore engine compression. Is that what they call a rebuild? Is that what has to happen to restore compression ? Idk I'm just asking g questions
Sep 21, 2026 at 2:07 PM
Avatar
STRAILER
  • ✓Experienced Mechanic
  • 55,433 POSTS
No worries, usually the timing chain jumping "time" will cause low compression, this is why I wanted you to remove the valve cover to check it, you can upload a short video of the chain play so I can see to help confirm the issue.
Sep 22, 2026 at 7:34 AM
Avatar
P TONE
  • MEMBER
  • 57 POSTS
Has it jump timing? Idk what I'm looking at also the chain is tight it also had a chain guide thingy on it
Sep 22, 2026 at 10:59 AM
Avatar
P TONE
  • MEMBER
  • 57 POSTS
Here the video the chain is 100% tight one arrow is poi ting at 10 oh clock and the other at 2 oh clock
Sep 22, 2026 at 1:15 PM
Avatar
P TONE
  • MEMBER
  • 57 POSTS
So what's up
Sep 23, 2026 at 3:38 PM
Avatar
STRAILER
  • ✓Experienced Mechanic
  • 55,433 POSTS
Yep, it is hard to say since we can see the crankshaft marks. But I would see if you can wedge a prybar in-between the timing chain and the upper guides and gently push down to see if you get get any play out of the chain. Here are the timing chain marks, the inside of the engine looks good though, serviced regularly.
Sep 23, 2026 at 5:26 PM
Avatar
P TONE
  • MEMBER
  • 57 POSTS
So are you telling me it jump timing? Are the arrows supposed to be lined up with the different colored part of the chain hope that make since
Sep 23, 2026 at 5:29 PM
Avatar
STRAILER
  • ✓Experienced Mechanic
  • 55,433 POSTS
No, I cannot tell yet. You can go by the chain links, that is a one time deal when the chain is installed, once the engine is rotated the links will not line up. Take the #1 spark plug out to see if the piston is at the very top?
Sep 23, 2026 at 5:44 PM
Avatar
P TONE
  • MEMBER
  • 57 POSTS
Thats 100% what I did. 1 arrow is facing 10 o clock the other 2 o clock i sent the video
Sep 23, 2026 at 5:46 PM
Avatar
P TONE
  • MEMBER
  • 57 POSTS
I will see tomorrow i go and see if I can see the diss colored chain pieces mightive over looked it
Sep 23, 2026 at 5:55 PM
Avatar
STRAILER
  • ✓Experienced Mechanic
  • 55,433 POSTS
Okay, are you sure the compression gauge works correctly? I would double check it.
Sep 23, 2026 at 5:59 PM
Avatar
P TONE
  • MEMBER
  • 57 POSTS
Lol okay
Sep 23, 2026 at 5:59 PM
Avatar
P TONE
  • MEMBER
  • 57 POSTS
Ill make a video of that to i guess.
Sep 23, 2026 at 6:00 PM
Avatar
STRAILER
  • ✓Experienced Mechanic
  • 55,433 POSTS
Yep, the more information we get the better.
Sep 23, 2026 at 6:12 PM
Avatar
P TONE
  • MEMBER
  • 57 POSTS
Hey!!!! I found the pieces of the chain that are colored am I supposed to line up the chain? With the colored pieces on the chain??
Sep 24, 2026 at 11:29 AM
Avatar
P TONE
  • MEMBER
  • 57 POSTS
Look look look
Sep 24, 2026 at 11:29 AM
Avatar
P TONE
  • MEMBER
  • 57 POSTS
The chain is 100% tight!!!!! How is that possible for it to jump timing????
Sep 24, 2026 at 11:31 AM
Avatar
P TONE
  • MEMBER
  • 57 POSTS
So it looks like its way way way off timing is there anyway I can make this easy on myself and just adjust the chain??
Sep 24, 2026 at 1:42 PM
Avatar
STRAILER
  • ✓Experienced Mechanic
  • 55,433 POSTS
So, like I say the marks are probably off so I would not go by that. I would put the engine on TDC and then see if the intake and exhaust lobes are split over 1 or 4. Once it is on TDC shoot me an image of the camshafts so I can see them.
Sep 25, 2026 at 6:02 PM
Avatar
P TONE
  • MEMBER
  • 57 POSTS
When I TDC the engine the arrows pint to 10 o clock and 2 o clock but the dis colored pieces of the chain are not lined up with the chain like at all!! So now my goal is to take off the chain and realign the chain marks?
Sep 25, 2026 at 6:07 PM
Avatar
STRAILER
  • ✓Experienced Mechanic
  • 55,433 POSTS
No, it seems like the engine is in time. I would do a leak down test to see where the problem is. Can you upload an image of the camshaft lobes so I can confirm the engine timing?
Sep 26, 2026 at 9:25 AM
Avatar
P TONE
  • MEMBER
  • 57 POSTS
Those are the discolored pieces you referenced is that what your talking about ?
Sep 26, 2026 at 11:46 AM
Avatar
P TONE
  • MEMBER
  • 57 POSTS
If the crank shaft is at 12 0 clock and both cams are at 10 o clock and 2 o clock does that mean I'm in timing?
Sep 26, 2026 at 1:29 PM
Join 2CarPros for free, one of the most advanced car repair communities on the internet. From first-time drivers to seasoned mechanics, everyone is welcome to reply, share details, and get better answers. You can add a temporary image or video first; uploads are limited to 20 MB.
Ask a Free Question
Repair Safety Notice: This information is for general instructional purposes only. Vehicle repair can be dangerous. Verify all information, follow manufacturer service procedures, use proper tools and safety equipment, and consult a qualified repair shop when needed.