2004 Chevrolet Silverado Blower Resistor Melted

2004 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
199,000 MILES • 5.3L • V8 • 4WD • AUTOMATIC
Avatar
SWATOSH
  • MEMBER
  • 2 POSTS
I have a 2004 Silverado with manual a/c controls. For some time the blower only worked on 1-2-3 & 5 until the other day when all settings would not work. I pulled the the blower resistor and it was melted so I replaced it and the connector.

Now it only works on the 5 setting and the resistor and wires become extremely hot.

Do you think the issue is the blower motor?
Jun 22, 2015 at 10:46 PM
Advertisement
Avatar
RACEFAN966
  • ✓Experienced Mechanic
  • 5,029 POSTS
Did you replace the blower motor resistor too or just the connector? You should have replaced the resistor with it if the wires where melted.
Jun 23, 2015 at 12:06 AM
Avatar
SWATOSH
  • MEMBER
  • 2 POSTS
Thanks so much for your quick response Racefan

I replaced the resistor and the connector
Jun 23, 2015 at 12:08 AM
Avatar
RACEFAN966
  • ✓Experienced Mechanic
  • 5,029 POSTS
Ok good, now did you test the switch at all to see if it was sending the signals for all speeds? Blower motors usually are either good or bad, not saying that it can't draw to much its possible just not very common. Let me know what you have tested and we will go from there.
Jun 23, 2015 at 1:15 AM
Avatar
SWATOSH
  • MEMBER
  • 2 POSTS
I have not performed any testing. How would I do that and with what tool?
Jun 23, 2015 at 1:28 AM
Avatar
RACEFAN966
  • ✓Experienced Mechanic
  • 5,029 POSTS
I can walk you through a test on the switch, do you have a digital multi meter? Get back to me and we will go from there ok.
Jun 24, 2015 at 12:05 AM
Join 2CarPros for free, one of the most advanced car repair communities on the internet. From first-time drivers to seasoned mechanics, everyone is welcome to reply, share details, and get better answers. You can add a temporary image or video first; uploads are limited to 20 MB.
Ask a Free Question
Repair Safety Notice: This information is for general instructional purposes only. Vehicle repair can be dangerous. Verify all information, follow manufacturer service procedures, use proper tools and safety equipment, and consult a qualified repair shop when needed.