2006 Mazda 6 heater blower motor quit working

78,000 MILES • 3.0L • 6 CYL • AUTOMATIC
Avatar
FURB1593
  • MEMBER
  • 1 POST
I checked all the fuses and relays, uninstalled the motor put 12 volts in it works correctly, when in the car doesn't work on any speed (car has auto air) should my next step be the replace the resistor? or am I missing something else when I turn the speed up the digital display shows each step on going up and down any help would be greatly appreciated thanks Jeff
Dec 10, 2013 at 5:39 PM
Avatar
CARADIODOC
  • ✓Experienced Mechanic
  • 34,386 POSTS
You only have a heater resistor when you have the old and reliable three or four-position switch. With the electronic controls that the engineers seem to think everyone wants, there is going to be a power module that uses "pulse-width modulation" to vary the motor speed. They use a high-power switching transistor which is very prone to failure in that application.

Pulse-width modulation, (PWM), means the motor is turned on fully, then off fully, hundreds of times per second. The ratio of on to off time is varied to vary the average voltage, and therefore the speed. I'm sorry I can't tell you where that module lives in your car, but chances are you'll find it if you follow the motor wires to it.
Dec 10, 2013 at 7:45 PM
Add a reply
Join 2CarPros for free, one of the most advanced car repair communities on the internet. From first-time drivers to seasoned mechanics, everyone is welcome to reply, share details, and get better answers. You can add a temporary image or video first; uploads are limited to 20 MB.

Frequently Asked Problems for This Vehicle