2004 Mercury Mountaineer Truck dies while driving

V6 • AWD • AUTOMATIC
Avatar
EVILTYMS3
  • MEMBER
  • 1 POST
My truck will die while driving. My check engine light is on, I took it to have a diagnostics test ran on it at autozone. I have replaced the fuel filter and it still just dies. Normally I can tell when it is getting ready to die, usually just randomly, I will feel the hesitation and then when I push the gas it goes out. lately it has happened even worse (without warning) I was in the middle of a turn and it just stopped, I put it in neutral and tried restarting, after several attempts it started up. there has been a few times when I turn the key in the ignition and it hesitates a moment before it will start (like its dead, but starts right after). I have asked a few people and they all said they weren't sure. I have 3 kids and it is to the point that I'm worried it will die with them in the truck. and they will be injured. I'm not real sure where to start. I read maybe it could be the camshaft? or possibly the ignition switch? I am open to any and all suggestions, please help
Nov 3, 2014 at 10:10 PM
Advertisement
Avatar
JACOBANDNICKOLAS
  • ✓Experienced Mechanic
  • 110,244 POSTS
Start by checking fuel pump pressure. It sounds like a fuel pump that is going bad.
Nov 4, 2014 at 2:08 AM
Join 2CarPros for free, one of the most advanced car repair communities on the internet. From first-time drivers to seasoned mechanics, everyone is welcome to reply, share details, and get better answers. You can add a temporary image or video first; uploads are limited to 20 MB.
Ask a Free Question
Repair Safety Notice: This information is for general instructional purposes only. Vehicle repair can be dangerous. Verify all information, follow manufacturer service procedures, use proper tools and safety equipment, and consult a qualified repair shop when needed.