Tundra with CEL how do I resolve this issue

2001 TOYOTA TUNDRA
190,000 MILES
Avatar
ASHLEY29666
  • MEMBER
  • 2 POSTS
I have scanned my truck and I Have a P0420 and P0420 pd? What do each of these codes mean? I was told it has something to do with gasses in my catalytic converter. How can I fix this and get rid of this code?
Sep 5, 2011 at 12:12 PM
Advertisement
Avatar
RASMATAZ
  • ✓Experienced Mechanic
  • 75,992 POSTS
P0420: Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)

Could be the Cat itself, O2 sensor/s, could be the coolant temperature sensor/s , retarded ignition timing, leaky exhaust manifold and the list goes on-
Sep 5, 2011 at 12:21 PM
Avatar
CJ MEDEVAC
  • ✓Experienced Mechanic
  • 11,004 POSTS
Raz,

Would that code put the vehicle into closed loop, and MPG suffer?

The Medic

Sep 25, 2011 at 5:29 PM
Join 2CarPros for free, one of the most advanced car repair communities on the internet. From first-time drivers to seasoned mechanics, everyone is welcome to reply, share details, and get better answers. You can add a temporary image or video first; uploads are limited to 20 MB.
Ask a Free Question
Repair Safety Notice: This information is for general instructional purposes only. Vehicle repair can be dangerous. Verify all information, follow manufacturer service procedures, use proper tools and safety equipment, and consult a qualified repair shop when needed.