HIDo rubber drain plugs work in stopping drips?

2001 HYUNDAI ELANTRA
197,000 MILES
Avatar
RIEBED
  • MEMBER
  • 111 POSTS
minimal 6-7 drips of oil per overnight
Dec 13, 2011 at 6:46 PM
Advertisement
Avatar
RASMATAZ
  • ✓Experienced Mechanic
  • 75,992 POSTS
Use a rubber washer on it-if it continues try JB weld dont work-tap it out
Dec 13, 2011 at 7:17 PM
Avatar
CJ MEDEVAC
  • ✓Experienced Mechanic
  • 11,004 POSTS
I NO LIKEY!

SEEN A FEW COME OUT

THEY MAKE OVER-SIZED PLUGS (REMOVING THEM OVER AND OVER AIN'T GOOD

THEY ALSO MAKE OVER-SIZED "PIGGY BACK" PLUGS, WHERE THE OUTER OVER-SIZED PART ALWAYS STAYS IN, AND YOU REMOVE THE INNER PLUG, TO CHANGE THE OIL (CAUTION, IDIOTS WILL REMOVE THE ENTIRE THING, IF NOT TOLD OTHERWISE)

I REALLY LIKE THE TYPE (AND SIMILAR) TO THE ONE IN MY PICS. YOU INSTALL IT AND NEVER NEED TO REMOVE IT--NO TOOLS ARE NECESSARY TO DRAIN YOUR OIL

DOWN SIDE---I MUST ADD---IS THE OIL DRAINS SLOWER, DOES A BIT BETTER IF THE OIL IS HOT, AND STILL SLOWER THAN "THE NORMAL DRAINING" ---LIKE I SAID --NO TOOLS NEED FOR THE ONE IN MY PIC!

THIS TYPE MAY ALSO BE AVAILABLE W/ OVER-SIZED THREADS...I JUST DO NOT KNOW---A WEB SEARCH MAY BE IN ORDER

ALSO WHETHER INSTALLING A PIGGY BACK OR ONE LIKE THIS---IF THE THREADS ARE STILL SOMEWHAT SERVICEABLE, WRAPPING MULTIPLE WRAPS OF "PLUMBER TYPE TEFLON TAPE" AROUND THE BODY (TO BE PERMANENTLY SCREWED AND LEFT IN) MAY SEAL THE PAN FROM DRIPPING.

THE BIGGEST PAIN YOU MIGHT EXPERIENCE IS YOU MUST KNOW THE SIZE OF YOUR OLD PLUG, IN ORDER TO GET THE CORRECT ONE FOR YOUR APPLICATION, A PARTS STORE CAN AID YOU WITH THIS.

WHATCHU THINK?---I GOT 'EM IN 3 VEHICLES I OWN, AND I LIKE 'EM

THE MEDIC



Dec 13, 2011 at 7:30 PM
Avatar
JACOBANDNICKOLAS
  • ✓Experienced Mechanic
  • 110,244 POSTS
What the medic suggested is a great idea. I don't like the rubber plug idea either. They are a temporary fix. Tap the drain out to a larger size and replace it with a drain plug or something like what has been suggested.
Dec 13, 2011 at 8:45 PM
Join 2CarPros for free, one of the most advanced car repair communities on the internet. From first-time drivers to seasoned mechanics, everyone is welcome to reply, share details, and get better answers. You can add a temporary image or video first; uploads are limited to 20 MB.
Ask a Free Question
Repair Safety Notice: This information is for general instructional purposes only. Vehicle repair can be dangerous. Verify all information, follow manufacturer service procedures, use proper tools and safety equipment, and consult a qualified repair shop when needed.