2001 Honda Civic White smoke

283,413 MILES • 1.7L • 4 CYL • FWD • AUTOMATIC
Avatar
IMPORTTUNER
  • MEMBER
  • 91 POSTS
Ok so yesterday I was going to drive the car but as soon as I put it in gear and only drove like 5ft there was a loud bang sound like a bomb went off and then there was a lot of white smoke coming out of the exhaust system. So is the head gasket blown or what happened to the car?
Nov 23, 2013 at 4:39 PM
Advertisement
Avatar
HMAC300
  • ✓Experienced Mechanic
  • 48,601 POSTS
pressure check the coolant system for leaks if it'as ahead gasket it should show up. it could also have been a backfire
Nov 23, 2013 at 10:17 PM
Avatar
IMPORTTUNER
  • MEMBER
  • 91 POSTS
I put the car in the garage yesterday and today I ran it and it still has white smoke coming out of the exhaust and I also noticed two large oil spots under the car that were not there before I put the car in the garage. The oil is coming from two different sides of the of the engine, from the left and the right side of the oil pan, but I haven't been able to find the direct source of the leaks yet.
Nov 24, 2013 at 9:48 AM
Avatar
HMAC300
  • ✓Experienced Mechanic
  • 48,601 POSTS
once you find the leaks clean themof with choke cleaner or brake clean and then runthe car it may be the head gasket. Do what I said in first suggestion
Nov 24, 2013 at 10:30 PM
Join 2CarPros for free, one of the most advanced car repair communities on the internet. From first-time drivers to seasoned mechanics, everyone is welcome to reply, share details, and get better answers. You can add a temporary image or video first; uploads are limited to 20 MB.
Ask a Free Question
Repair Safety Notice: This information is for general instructional purposes only. Vehicle repair can be dangerous. Verify all information, follow manufacturer service procedures, use proper tools and safety equipment, and consult a qualified repair shop when needed.