Ignition cylinder and ignition switch

2001 FORD MUSTANG
200 MILES • 0.6L • 6 CYL • 2WD • MANUAL
Avatar
TINA HOPKINS
  • MEMBER
  • 6 POSTS
Well, I just put another ignition housing on because the old one was striped. I bought a brand new antenna immobilizer and put a brand new ignition locking cylinder that has comes with a set of keys. After everything was installed we tried to jump start the car and I got power to everything but the ignition cylinder and the ignition switch. I replaced the ignition locking cylinder because my key got broken in half and lost could it be a blown fuse? Do I have to have a new programmed key even though the new ignition locking cylinder came with keys? I do not know what else to do. Please help!
Sep 10, 2018 at 6:06 AM
Advertisement
Avatar
DANNY L
  • ✓Experienced Mechanic
  • 5,648 POSTS
Hello, I am Danny.

Yes, your PATS (Passive Anti-Theft System) has to be reprogrammed to your car with the new keys. If a Ford manufacturers scanner is used it might show which type of communication is missing/needed/lacking. I have attached a picture showing the communication chart. Hope this helps and thanks for using 2CarPros.
Danny-
Sep 15, 2018 at 11:19 AM
Avatar
TINA HOPKINS
  • MEMBER
  • 6 POSTS
Thank you very much but the communication chart is blurry. Can I take my new keys to the Ford dealers to have them programmed?
Sep 15, 2018 at 11:36 AM
Avatar
TINA HOPKINS
  • MEMBER
  • 6 POSTS
My bad Danny the chart was not blurry. Thank you very much.
Sep 15, 2018 at 11:51 AM
Avatar
DANNY L
  • ✓Experienced Mechanic
  • 5,648 POSTS
You are welcome!

I would ask the Dealership if the car will need to be there and programmed as well. Hope this helps and thanks for using 2CarPros. Let us know what happens.
Danny-
Sep 16, 2018 at 4:27 AM
Avatar
TINA HOPKINS
  • MEMBER
  • 6 POSTS
Thank you and I did call Ford and they do need the car too. So I am assuming that the car needs to be programmed too, but fortunately I have a friend who just happens to have a transponder that is for programming Ford keys. He is going to come over today and program everything for $20.00 instead of having to pay Ford $133.00 just to program keys even if you already have keys ready to be programmed. I will let you know what happens.
Sep 18, 2018 at 5:14 AM
Avatar
DANNY L
  • ✓Experienced Mechanic
  • 5,648 POSTS
Hello again.
Okay, cool. Keep me informed and thanks again for using 2CarPros.
Danny-
Sep 19, 2018 at 9:10 AM
Avatar
TINA HOPKINS
  • MEMBER
  • 6 POSTS
Hi Danny. I am the one with 2001 Ford Mustang. I found my chipped key and the anti theft light stopped blinking but still nothing when I try to start the vehicle. But I have power to everything, but I am thinking the ignition locking cylinder is not locking in the ignition housing right. Because when I put it in it seems it is locked in when I turn the key to start it I get nothing and I can pull the locking ignition cylinder right out with no problem. I need some one send me a photo of the ignition housing without the ignition locking cylinder so I can see how to set the the actuator pin with the locking ignition cylinder.
Sep 26, 2018 at 9:32 AM
Avatar
DANNY L
  • ✓Experienced Mechanic
  • 5,648 POSTS
Hello again.

This is the first thing I found for the column/switch assembly.Let me know if this helps or I will keep looking. Thanks again for using 2CarPros.
Danny-

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/ignition-switch-wont-turn-stuck
Sep 26, 2018 at 3:18 PM
Join 2CarPros for free, one of the most advanced car repair communities on the internet. From first-time drivers to seasoned mechanics, everyone is welcome to reply, share details, and get better answers. You can add a temporary image or video first; uploads are limited to 20 MB.
Ask a Free Question
Repair Safety Notice: This information is for general instructional purposes only. Vehicle repair can be dangerous. Verify all information, follow manufacturer service procedures, use proper tools and safety equipment, and consult a qualified repair shop when needed.