Antifreeze

144,000 MILES • V8 • AWD • AUTOMATIC
Avatar
ATEEHEE
  • MEMBER
  • 1 POST
I have a 99 Mountaineer. I am smelling antifreeze, but it is not overheating. What do I need to do to stop the smell?
Jan 26, 2011 at 7:32 AM
Advertisement
Avatar
JACOBANDNICKOLAS
  • ✓Experienced Mechanic
  • 110,244 POSTS
First, you need to identify where it is coming from. If it is in the vehicle, chances are it is coming from the heater core.

What I recommend is to have the cooling system pressure checked to see if there are any leaks. If you smell it, it is leaking.
Feb 7, 2011 at 9:39 AM
Join 2CarPros for free, one of the most advanced car repair communities on the internet. From first-time drivers to seasoned mechanics, everyone is welcome to reply, share details, and get better answers. You can add a temporary image or video first; uploads are limited to 20 MB.
Ask a Free Question
Repair Safety Notice: This information is for general instructional purposes only. Vehicle repair can be dangerous. Verify all information, follow manufacturer service procedures, use proper tools and safety equipment, and consult a qualified repair shop when needed.