Can you install a universal catayltic converter on a 1999 Audi A6 Quattro, 6cyl 2.8L. The dealership says to use direct fit parts.
Jan 12, 2011 at 8:33 PM
Advertisement
DOCHAGERTY
✓Experienced Mechanic
9,606 POSTS
The federal smog ****s have made it unlawful in some states to use any cat that is not a direct replacement cat. The internet has several suppliers that can offer a reasonable price on the replacement cat for your A6. You have a fairly nice car there (I assume) why cobble it up with an aftermarket piece of garbage?
Jan 12, 2011 at 8:58 PM
KEN WOODS
MEMBER
2 POSTS
Thanks for your quick response, The only reason I'm asking this questions is because the replacement parts list for about $480 each and there are two on this vehicle. Got a good deal on the car, buying it for my ex-wife and want to save a little money. Texas does not mandate direct fit cats only.
Jan 12, 2011 at 9:07 PM
DOCHAGERTY
✓Experienced Mechanic
9,606 POSTS
Got it, I understand and I tend to agree. Thanks for the response.
Jan 12, 2011 at 9:13 PM
Repair Safety Notice: This information is for general instructional purposes only. Vehicle repair can be dangerous. Verify all information, follow manufacturer service procedures, use proper tools and safety equipment, and consult a qualified repair shop when needed.