1998 Nissan Pathfinder fuel pump?

157,000 MILES • 6 CYL • AUTOMATIC
Avatar
TRACIC
  • MEMBER
  • 1 POST
ok. couple a months ago I had put it in 4wd. later put gear back into 2wd. 4wd light stayed on.so i was driving everything fine. went to put in park. and engine just reved up,hard like it was stuck or something. so i put it in reverse. just shot back like a rocket. put back in park, just reved hard so i shut it off. went to start it again just reved. so i turned back off, later i was talking to a friend about it. He said turn car on just to unlock gears,then pull gear shift all the way back and back to park. I did. went to start and was fine. he said i was stuck in gears. So yesterday I had the truck in 4wd in the morning.all fine. when i was going home i notced light was still on. rremembering what my friend said. i tried it. went to start engine, nothing it would turn over but not catch. sounded like it wanted to. I thot fuel pump. Not having a AAA or anything i just sat and cried. 5mins later tried again ,same ,2 mins later,tried it sounded like it wanted to start, so i kept gas peddle down and it finaly started. I had no problem going home or coming to work. So I,m stumped. I>M gonna start it right now....it started. kinda chugged. What can it be?
Jan 29, 2014 at 7:34 AM
Advertisement
Avatar
KNOWLEDGE IS POWER
  • EXPERT
  • 1,136 POSTS
I know how discouraging cars can be when your at a loss. that's why im on here. to try to help people as much as I can. knowing that most that post here have very limited knowledge of car repair and even fewer tools, I like to start with the basics. when was the last tie the fuel filter was changed or a tune up was done. the long start and chugging sound like issues that are created by one of the elements of internal combustion being less than needed. air, fuel, spark, and compression are those elements. all vehicles need them. that being said, beyond that you've got some more complicated systems that could be coming into play that can be very hard to determine sight unseen as in this case.
Jan 29, 2014 at 8:57 AM
Join 2CarPros for free, one of the most advanced car repair communities on the internet. From first-time drivers to seasoned mechanics, everyone is welcome to reply, share details, and get better answers. You can add a temporary image or video first; uploads are limited to 20 MB.
Ask a Free Question
Repair Safety Notice: This information is for general instructional purposes only. Vehicle repair can be dangerous. Verify all information, follow manufacturer service procedures, use proper tools and safety equipment, and consult a qualified repair shop when needed.