Possible blown head gasket but i am not sure

1998 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
180,000 MILES • 4 CYL • FWD • AUTOMATIC
Avatar
THECHEVYGUY
  • MEMBER
  • 1 POST
enter your question...I have a 98 cavalier and it overheated so i shut it down as quickly as possible, but now the problem is... I don't know if its the head gasket or another problem I can't diagnose myself. The oil has no water in it. The spark plugs have no water on them. There is exhaust coming from my antifreeze resivour but I don't have any weird smoke coming from the tail pipe. I tried to reset my computer by tapping the negative and positive terminals together and it still didn't work. I don't want to sell my car if its something other then the head gasket but I can't seem to diagnose it myself. Any help would be appreciated.
Jan 29, 2011 at 7:54 PM
Advertisement
Avatar
MIKE H R
  • MEMBER
  • 3,094 POSTS
If you have exhaust coming from the cooland resevoir then I would say you may have a head gasket leak. Most times with a head gasket leak yo0u would lose coolant. With trying to reset your computer. remove the negative side of the battery. Leave off for a couple of minutes. Then put it back on. The computer on newer cars will not reset until it is driven appox 30 to 40 miles.
Mar 8, 2011 at 8:42 AM
Join 2CarPros for free, one of the most advanced car repair communities on the internet. From first-time drivers to seasoned mechanics, everyone is welcome to reply, share details, and get better answers. You can add a temporary image or video first; uploads are limited to 20 MB.
Ask a Free Question
Repair Safety Notice: This information is for general instructional purposes only. Vehicle repair can be dangerous. Verify all information, follow manufacturer service procedures, use proper tools and safety equipment, and consult a qualified repair shop when needed.