can I bypass my air conditioning?

1997 MERCURY SABLE
6 CYL • FWD • AUTOMATIC
Avatar
MOMDUCK
  • MEMBER
  • 1 POST
I have a 97 Mercury Sable that won't start. It's not your normal starting problem though, I've been driving it all summer with a failing air conditioning compressor. The gear has been squealing for a long time but now it appears to be stuck so the belt is just pulling over it. I think it's causing so much resistance that the starter can't spin the flywheel to get it started. We put a new starter in so that not the problem. I can Live without air conditioning so if my line of thinking is correct then if we bypass the compressor I should be able to start it ...right?
If that is in fact true, can the gear be taken off the compressor with out taking the whole unit out of the car?
Jan 2, 2011 at 8:39 AM
Advertisement
Avatar
OBXAUTOMEDIC
  • ✓Experienced Mechanic
  • 3,711 POSTS
Hello,

Yes, you would need to remove the A/C Compressor and replace it with an A/C Compressor Bypass Pulley NAPA Part Number 660-1814.

.
Jan 2, 2011 at 9:01 AM
Avatar
DALES
  • MEMBER
  • 2 POSTS
Hello,
If I were in your shoes I would remove the clutch (Special tools are involved) from the A/C Compressor. Then remove the clutch hub and replace the bearing on the front of the compressor and reassemble so you can install a new belt to turn all the other accessories and components. It is possible that you have driven with this deteriorating condition to the point that the compressor itself may have to be replaced. It depends on how much damage there is on the front of the compressor.
Sincerely,
Dale
Jan 2, 2011 at 9:05 AM
Avatar
DALES
  • MEMBER
  • 2 POSTS
Dear MOMDUCK,

It appears that "Obxautomatic" has a better option for you than I did. Since there is a bypass pulley avaiable that is DEFINATELY the best way to go for your situation at this point in time.
Sincerely,
Dale
Jan 2, 2011 at 9:08 AM
Avatar
OBXAUTOMEDIC
  • ✓Experienced Mechanic
  • 3,711 POSTS
You should be able to go to any parts store with the NAPA Number and have them cross it over to there part number.
Jan 2, 2011 at 6:51 PM
Join 2CarPros for free, one of the most advanced car repair communities on the internet. From first-time drivers to seasoned mechanics, everyone is welcome to reply, share details, and get better answers. You can add a temporary image or video first; uploads are limited to 20 MB.
Ask a Free Question
Repair Safety Notice: This information is for general instructional purposes only. Vehicle repair can be dangerous. Verify all information, follow manufacturer service procedures, use proper tools and safety equipment, and consult a qualified repair shop when needed.