Mysterious black tube not attached to anything

1995 CHEVROLET CORSICA
140,000 MILES
Avatar
SARAH B
  • MEMBER
  • 9 POSTS
I happened to catch this when I was changing out my air filter. When I tried to move it around, the tube broke in the middle.
Dec 10, 2011 at 7:24 PM
Advertisement
Avatar
RIVERMIKERAT
  • ✓Experienced Mechanic
  • 6,110 POSTS
There should be a vacuum line connected to it. Look for one that is connected to nothing or plugged off.
Dec 10, 2011 at 7:27 PM
Avatar
SARAH B
  • MEMBER
  • 9 POSTS
I forgot to say, the other end wasn't attached to anything.
Dec 10, 2011 at 7:28 PM
Avatar
RIVERMIKERAT
  • ✓Experienced Mechanic
  • 6,110 POSTS
Replace the vacuum line, the get brittle over time. Find a source of vacuum to plug the line into. There should be a vacuum diagram under the hood somewhere. Chevy usually puts them either on the underside of the hood or on the fan shroud.
Dec 10, 2011 at 7:35 PM
Avatar
WRENCHTECH
  • ✓Experienced Mechanic
  • 20,761 POSTS
That's not a vacuum line. It is a breather tube that inserts into a grommet if the rear valve cover.
Dec 10, 2011 at 8:31 PM
Avatar
RIVERMIKERAT
  • ✓Experienced Mechanic
  • 6,110 POSTS
I'll defer to you on this Wrenchtech in the presumption your eyes are better than mine.
Dec 10, 2011 at 9:05 PM
Avatar
WRENCHTECH
  • ✓Experienced Mechanic
  • 20,761 POSTS
I don't see it any better. I just have had to reattach may of them doing the intake on 3.1s.

They are calling is a "Crankcase Vent tube"
Dec 11, 2011 at 6:09 AM
Avatar
SARAH B
  • MEMBER
  • 9 POSTS
Thank you for your replies :)

So if it is broken off, can is it ok to drive?
Dec 11, 2011 at 12:55 PM
Avatar
WRENCHTECH
  • ✓Experienced Mechanic
  • 20,761 POSTS
It's not an emergency but you don't want to leave it that way too long.
Dec 11, 2011 at 1:09 PM
Avatar
SARAH B
  • MEMBER
  • 9 POSTS
can i drive with out it?
Dec 11, 2011 at 1:15 PM
Avatar
SARAH B
  • MEMBER
  • 9 POSTS
Cool, Thank you. Where can I buy a replacement? I've checked the usual places but no luck
Dec 11, 2011 at 1:17 PM
Avatar
WRENCHTECH
  • ✓Experienced Mechanic
  • 20,761 POSTS
Did I not just answer that question?
Dec 11, 2011 at 1:18 PM
Avatar
WRENCHTECH
  • ✓Experienced Mechanic
  • 20,761 POSTS
Dealer or junkyard
Dec 11, 2011 at 1:20 PM
Avatar
SARAH B
  • MEMBER
  • 9 POSTS
Yep you did ;-) I apologize. There is a bit of lag on my end.
Dec 11, 2011 at 2:49 PM
Avatar
RIVERMIKERAT
  • ✓Experienced Mechanic
  • 6,110 POSTS
Thread closed.
Jan 26, 2012 at 11:08 PM
Join 2CarPros for free, one of the most advanced car repair communities on the internet. From first-time drivers to seasoned mechanics, everyone is welcome to reply, share details, and get better answers. You can add a temporary image or video first; uploads are limited to 20 MB.
Ask a Free Question
Repair Safety Notice: This information is for general instructional purposes only. Vehicle repair can be dangerous. Verify all information, follow manufacturer service procedures, use proper tools and safety equipment, and consult a qualified repair shop when needed.