I happened to catch this when I was changing out my air filter. When I tried to move it around, the tube broke in the middle.
Image (Click to enlarge)
Dec 10, 2011 at 7:24 PM
Advertisement
RIVERMIKERAT
✓Experienced Mechanic
6,110 POSTS
There should be a vacuum line connected to it. Look for one that is connected to nothing or plugged off.
Dec 10, 2011 at 7:27 PM
SARAH B
MEMBER
9 POSTS
I forgot to say, the other end wasn't attached to anything.
Dec 10, 2011 at 7:28 PM
RIVERMIKERAT
✓Experienced Mechanic
6,110 POSTS
Replace the vacuum line, the get brittle over time. Find a source of vacuum to plug the line into. There should be a vacuum diagram under the hood somewhere. Chevy usually puts them either on the underside of the hood or on the fan shroud.
Dec 10, 2011 at 7:35 PM
WRENCHTECH
✓Experienced Mechanic
20,761 POSTS
That's not a vacuum line. It is a breather tube that inserts into a grommet if the rear valve cover.
Dec 10, 2011 at 8:31 PM
RIVERMIKERAT
✓Experienced Mechanic
6,110 POSTS
I'll defer to you on this Wrenchtech in the presumption your eyes are better than mine.
Dec 10, 2011 at 9:05 PM
WRENCHTECH
✓Experienced Mechanic
20,761 POSTS
I don't see it any better. I just have had to reattach may of them doing the intake on 3.1s.
They are calling is a "Crankcase Vent tube"
Dec 11, 2011 at 6:09 AM
SARAH B
MEMBER
9 POSTS
Thank you for your replies :)
So if it is broken off, can is it ok to drive?
Dec 11, 2011 at 12:55 PM
WRENCHTECH
✓Experienced Mechanic
20,761 POSTS
It's not an emergency but you don't want to leave it that way too long.
Dec 11, 2011 at 1:09 PM
SARAH B
MEMBER
9 POSTS
can i drive with out it?
Dec 11, 2011 at 1:15 PM
SARAH B
MEMBER
9 POSTS
Cool, Thank you. Where can I buy a replacement? I've checked the usual places but no luck
Dec 11, 2011 at 1:17 PM
WRENCHTECH
✓Experienced Mechanic
20,761 POSTS
Did I not just answer that question?
Dec 11, 2011 at 1:18 PM
WRENCHTECH
✓Experienced Mechanic
20,761 POSTS
Dealer or junkyard
Dec 11, 2011 at 1:20 PM
SARAH B
MEMBER
9 POSTS
Yep you did ;-) I apologize. There is a bit of lag on my end.
Dec 11, 2011 at 2:49 PM
RIVERMIKERAT
✓Experienced Mechanic
6,110 POSTS
Thread closed.
Jan 26, 2012 at 11:08 PM
Repair Safety Notice: This information is for general instructional purposes only. Vehicle repair can be dangerous. Verify all information, follow manufacturer service procedures, use proper tools and safety equipment, and consult a qualified repair shop when needed.