transmission oil type

1991 FORD RANGER
497,896 MILES • 4 CYL • 2WD • MANUAL
Avatar
RONSON
  • MEMBER
  • 77 POSTS
What type of transmission oil does a 1991 ford ranger with a manual M5R1 transmission take ?
Jul 23, 2011 at 9:55 PM
Advertisement
Avatar
WRENCHTECH
  • ✓Experienced Mechanic
  • 20,761 POSTS
The Mazda M5OD 5-SPD O/D M/T uses ATF as shown.
The Mitsubishi 5-SPD M/T uses gear oil

Yours is the Mazda trans. M5OD is another name for the same trans.
May 4, 2021 at 2:32 AM
Avatar
RONSON
  • MEMBER
  • 77 POSTS
I am going to have to check the trans. tag and find out which trans. for sure. I bought it from a friend who was original owner and he always had it serviced by ford. When I went to add oil could smell gear oil when removed the plug.So I must have the mits. Trans. in it.
May 4, 2021 at 2:32 AM
Join 2CarPros for free, one of the most advanced car repair communities on the internet. From first-time drivers to seasoned mechanics, everyone is welcome to reply, share details, and get better answers. You can add a temporary image or video first; uploads are limited to 20 MB.
Ask a Free Question
Repair Safety Notice: This information is for general instructional purposes only. Vehicle repair can be dangerous. Verify all information, follow manufacturer service procedures, use proper tools and safety equipment, and consult a qualified repair shop when needed.