Starting

2000 KIA SEPHIA
Avatar
RIEBED
  • MEMBER
  • 111 POSTS
2000 Kia Sephia cranks and cranks without firing, is it correct to assume cranksensor is going bad?
Where is it located on this car?
Aug 19, 2011 at 4:49 PM
Advertisement
Avatar
MHPAUTOS
  • ✓Experienced Mechanic
  • 31,937 POSTS
Never assume anything, that is how you spend countless $$ chasing faults, get a scan done if you can for fault codes, check for fuel pressure, spark and injection pulse, start here.
Aug 19, 2011 at 5:03 PM
Avatar
SATURNTECH9
  • ✓Experienced Mechanic
  • 30,869 POSTS
So you checked for spark and don't have any?Also do you have any codes?Do you have a multimeter so we can check the crank shaft position sensor?
Aug 19, 2011 at 5:04 PM
Avatar
RIEBED
  • MEMBER
  • 111 POSTS
I am going to take the car in to a good mechanic on Monday but I just was curious if I would need to buy a after market cranksensor or must I stay with a dealership sensor-I was just going to have him diagnose the problem and then I would buy part-bad crank sensor would set off CEL wouldn't it
Aug 19, 2011 at 5:35 PM
Avatar
SATURNTECH9
  • ✓Experienced Mechanic
  • 30,869 POSTS
I dont see why you couldnt use a aftermarket crank shaft position sensor if that was what was wrong with your car.They dont always set a code when they go bad though.But it would be worth renting a scan tool to see if there was a code.If you dont have spark when it doesnt start then i would suspect thr crank shaft position sensor.Its on the rear of the engine in the bell housing.Its easy to test all you need is a multimeter.
Aug 19, 2011 at 6:16 PM
Avatar
RIEBED
  • MEMBER
  • 111 POSTS
Thanks
Aug 20, 2011 at 9:12 PM
Avatar
RIEBED
  • MEMBER
  • 111 POSTS
Really appreciate the input
Aug 20, 2011 at 9:13 PM
Avatar
SATURNTECH9
  • ✓Experienced Mechanic
  • 30,869 POSTS
Your welcome thats what were here for.
Aug 20, 2011 at 9:43 PM
Join 2CarPros for free, one of the most advanced car repair communities on the internet. From first-time drivers to seasoned mechanics, everyone is welcome to reply, share details, and get better answers. You can add a temporary image or video first; uploads are limited to 20 MB.
Ask a Free Question
Repair Safety Notice: This information is for general instructional purposes only. Vehicle repair can be dangerous. Verify all information, follow manufacturer service procedures, use proper tools and safety equipment, and consult a qualified repair shop when needed.