1999 Chevrolet Blazer Electrical?

1999 CHEVROLET BLAZER
152,000 MILES
Avatar
TYGRPA
  • MEMBER
  • 1 POST
I have had some issues starting the vehicle at times. It seems that I have a drain somewhere, but I do not know. Also, when turning and breaking, the battery gauge will drop some. I did not know if this was related to a battery drain or a different symptom. I think the alternator is fine due to the battery recharging after a jump,. I just do not know what causes this. Oh, the air bag light will come on from time to time as well.
Oct 31, 2013 at 6:48 AM
Advertisement
Avatar
JDL
  • ✓Experienced Mechanic
  • 16,098 POSTS
Are you saying, you have trouble with starter motor cranking? If so, make sure the battery has a full charge. Battery connections clean and tight. If the battery is down take it off and get it charged. Use a digital multimeter and check charging system.

If you suspect a battery drain with everything off, check for the allowable drain, usually around 50 ma, that is .050 not even a tenth of an amp. I'd have to look up the actual drain spec. If drain is excessive, you can pull/replace fuses, one at a time, when you pull the fuse on the problem circuit, the excessive drain goes away. A faulty alternator might let the battery drain?

Can you check for applicable trouble codes. To check codes yourself, at the least, you would need an obd2 code reader. Some of the national brand autostores will check codes for free. They can also, check your battery and charging system.

If your community has national brand autostores they will make house calls. I don't know what charge?
Oct 31, 2013 at 7:33 AM
Join 2CarPros for free, one of the most advanced car repair communities on the internet. From first-time drivers to seasoned mechanics, everyone is welcome to reply, share details, and get better answers. You can add a temporary image or video first; uploads are limited to 20 MB.
Ask a Free Question
Repair Safety Notice: This information is for general instructional purposes only. Vehicle repair can be dangerous. Verify all information, follow manufacturer service procedures, use proper tools and safety equipment, and consult a qualified repair shop when needed.