Ignition cylinder is locked

1994 BUICK LESABRE
13,800 MILES
Avatar
JDG
  • MEMBER
  • 1 POST
1994 Buick Lesabre ~ I changed out the ignition cylinder and took the template key to the dealership to have a new key made. When we got home with the new key, the car started (Monday). On Tuesday we tried to start the car and the ignition locked and did not recognized the new key. We put the template key in and the ignition unlocked and turned. The door bell recognized there was a key in the ignition and I was able to get power for the radio to turn on. I returned to the dealership, they re-keyed a new key for me since we noticed a difference in the cut. I bring the key home and the ignition locks up again. The door bell did not even ding when the key was in the ignition and the door was open. Same thing with the original key we had made. I insert the template key and the ignition unlocks. I can't figure this out. I did notice that on both of the new keys that there is about a 1/16" cut off the end, and it isn't on the template.
Aug 22, 2012 at 6:10 PM
Advertisement
Avatar
CJ MEDEVAC
  • ✓Experienced Mechanic
  • 11,004 POSTS
MY BUDDY IN ARKANSAS HAD ISSUES WITH HIS TAHOE IGNITION SWITCH

I'M NOT SURE IF THIS IS THE SAME ONE, BUT HE DID A "CHAT" WITH A LOCKSMITH AND GOT HIS SITUATION FIGURED OUT

http://www.northbrooklocksmith.com/contactus.php

I HOPE THIS HELPS

THE MEDIC
Aug 22, 2012 at 7:33 PM
Join 2CarPros for free, one of the most advanced car repair communities on the internet. From first-time drivers to seasoned mechanics, everyone is welcome to reply, share details, and get better answers. You can add a temporary image or video first; uploads are limited to 20 MB.
Ask a Free Question
Repair Safety Notice: This information is for general instructional purposes only. Vehicle repair can be dangerous. Verify all information, follow manufacturer service procedures, use proper tools and safety equipment, and consult a qualified repair shop when needed.