Clarification to answer re 'Drive' selection of Auto shift.

198,000 MILES • 6 CYL • FWD • AUTOMATIC
Avatar
KROOKY
  • MEMBER
  • 5 POSTS
Thanks for that, however, can you send me a diagram or tell me how to access the linkage as mentioned in your answer to my auto selection problem and what is Pb blaster?
Cheer, Krooky
Mar 9, 2011 at 4:50 PM
Advertisement
Avatar
JACOBANDNICKOLAS
  • ✓Experienced Mechanic
  • 110,244 POSTS
Hi:
I didn't receive your first post. As a result, I'm not sure what is taking place. It sounds like you are having trouble with linkage, but I'm not sure which linkage. Let me know. Also, PB blaster is a brand of penetrating oil. It is used to lubericate components and to desolve rust to nuts and bolts come apart without breaking. It is similar to something like WD40. Chances are you will recognize that brand name. Please make sure to reply to this post. If you make a new one, the same thing will happen. Someone other than me will get it and not know the history.

Take care,
Joe
Mar 9, 2011 at 8:29 PM
Avatar
KROOKY
  • MEMBER
  • 5 POSTS
hi, sorry aboutr that there seemed to be a problem with the website, because it didn't have this option of reply before. it asked me to sign in again to reply and consequently asked me for more funds and gave me another person to query.
Anyway the problem my 1993 Nissan Maxima has just developed is that when I select 'Drive' with the automatic shift, it's as if it was in neutral. I have found that I can get around the problem by selecting 2nd first and then putting it into Drive and all is then well. The other fellow suggested it was the linkage, but I'm almost certain that it wouldn't be that due to all circumstances present. Can you suggest what the problem may be and what I need to do to rectify it.
cheers, Wayne
Mar 10, 2011 at 2:49 AM
Avatar
JACOBANDNICKOLAS
  • ✓Experienced Mechanic
  • 110,244 POSTS
Hi, Wayne:

Actually, the first thing I would recommend checking would be the linkage. It sounds odd that the trans shifts normal when placed in drive, but won't shift into gear from second. I can add that there is a band in the transmission that locks 2nd gear in place when you select it. There could be a problem internally. Regardless, I would recommend checking the linkage to make sure it is truly shifting the transmission into 2nd gear before jumping into the transmission. If you are under the hood of the vehicle, locate the trans linkage that attaches to the transmission. Have a helper shift the gears from inside the vehicle so you can identify if the linkage is moving and engaging. I will wait for your results.
Mar 10, 2011 at 4:39 AM
Join 2CarPros for free, one of the most advanced car repair communities on the internet. From first-time drivers to seasoned mechanics, everyone is welcome to reply, share details, and get better answers. You can add a temporary image or video first; uploads are limited to 20 MB.
Ask a Free Question
Repair Safety Notice: This information is for general instructional purposes only. Vehicle repair can be dangerous. Verify all information, follow manufacturer service procedures, use proper tools and safety equipment, and consult a qualified repair shop when needed.